Thursday 5 May 2011

Review: Brava

When toast just won't cut the mustard...

Some of things on my Bucket List are things in Cardiff that I have never done, but really should have. And some of them I have done a hundred times already but I love them so much that just had to have an excuse to do them again and write about it. Breakfast at Brava is in this latter category.

If you live in Pontcanna or its surrounding areas you are probably already familiar with this little cafe-gem. But if not, it is worth making a journey for on a Sunday morning.

Now I do understand that they also serve lunch and evening meals, in fact I have eaten a very delicious dinner there last Christmas when fairy lights twinkling in the windows enticed me in. But I have to admit that for me, breakfast is where it's at at Brava.

Sometimes I think a good way to describe this place is like how your parents might describe a little cafe they found in the back streets of Spain. With a 'Oooh, all the locals were there so we knew the food would be good." And this visit was no exception. The sun was out so the four small tables outside were taken, and inside was a hustle and bustle of people and staff. Luckily we got a great window seat quickly, and armed with the Sunday papers sat down to soak up the atmosphere.

This trendy little cafe is invariably filled with lots of trendy people. There is normally a mix of cool Cantonians, yummy mummies with their blonde haired toddlers, and aspirational twenty-somethings with designer sunglasses. I hear that it can be a good place to celeb spot, but you know me, I would miss one if they came and slapped me in the face. However, you will have more than one sighting of a Mulberry handbag during your visit and don't expect to see people sloppily dressed as if they have just rolled out of bed. The Sunday-morning casual look has taken hours to perfect. Don’t be put off by this though, the charm of Brava is that it is very relaxed and it is a great place for people watching.

But the important bit is the food. As I mentioned my area of specialty is the breakfast menu. Sometimes a full breakfast is all that will hit the spot and no cafe serving breakfast could omit this favourite. The Brava menu doesn't disappoint and boasts full carnivorous and veggie breakfasts aptly named the Brava Meaty and Brava Veggie. They are healthily cooked, include all the main contenders and the beans come in a little pot which seems to please non-bean eaters no end.

One of my other favourites are the pancakes – a stack of the scotch variety of pancakes which I order with maple syrup, strawberries and crème fraiche. Teamed with a good cuppa and you can't go wrong. 

But the real stars of the show are the Eggs Benedict. There are two varieties, one with salmon and spinach which is almost always my choice, and the other with bacon. The eggs are always perfectly cooked and there is always just the right amount of hollandaise sauce. Be warned though, you will need to be hungry to finish this, and you must finish it as it is simply too good to leave.

In addition, the coffee is fresh, the juice freshly squeezed, the tea comes in good sized pots and there is always a great selection of very tasty looking cakes at the counter. The staff are friendly and accommodating if a little run off their feet at times. Expect to pay a little more than your average greasy spoon fry up though, after all you are in Pontcanna.


I
Find Brava at 71 Pontcanna St, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF11 9HS

No comments:

Post a Comment